COVID-19 Update: Heal is open with modified hours Tuesdays and Thursdays 9-5. Both in-person and curbside pickup appointments are available. Telemedicine services also available. Have a question about your pet? Need advice? Let’s have a virtual or in person visit. Click here for more information.
For pets with disabilities, chronic illness, cancer, injury, or seniors with mobility issues.
As an integrative veterinarian, Dr. Turner helps dogs and cats with chronic illnesses or injury with a combination of conventional Western and holistic options such as acupuncture, herbal medicine, nutrition, or laser therapy.
She sees her patients regularly either in their home or in the clinic and makes changes as needed to keep them comfortable and mobile. We help pets live longer and better lives.
Examples of pets she helps include those with any chronic disease including cancer, kidney or liver disease, IBD, allergies, anxiety, seizures, arthritis pain, lameness, ACL tears, back pain/IVDD, neurologic disease, paralysis, geriatric weakness, weight issues, endocrine issues and many more . Many of our patients have a combination of health issues that are not adequately addressed with Western medicine alone and benefit from the addition of integrative options.
- Acupuncture: Acupuncture is available alone or in combination with other therapies we offer. Acupuncture only is our most budget conscious option. Dr. Turner offers acupuncture in 30-minute sessions for $85 after the initial consultation. Acupuncture can also be combined with laser or other rehabilitation options like underwater treadmill for pets that require more intensive therapy. Read more about acupuncture.
- Advanced Acupuncture: electro-acupuncture, aqua-acupuncture, moxa, tui-na,
- .Nutrition/Food Therapy: Better nutrition is the best way to make a dog or cat feel better. Learn how to feed nutritious whole foods to your pet using what’s in your refrigerator at home. If chopping or cooking isn’t for you, Dr. Turner can help you choose the best commercial options available.
- Herbal Medicine and Supplements: Dr. Turner will help you weed through the label claims and provide evidence-based, high quality products for targeted therapy. Heal has a complete in-house herbal pharmacy and only uses the purest medicinal grade supplements for the best outcomes.
Palliative Care and Hospice
Dr. Turner will teach you to be the most knowledgeable caretaker you can be and your pet’s best advocate.
Is your pet in pain or discomfort?
If you are considering palliative care or hospice care for your loved companion, chances are this question is on your mind.
Dr. Turner can help you know what to look for and how to prevent or address problems on your own to avoid stressful travel or emergency vet visits. Whether or not you have chosen to pursue chemotherapy, surgery, or intensive conventional therapy for your pet, the addition of palliative or hospice care supports the patient and family through ups and downs, and maintains appetite, mobility, and energy.
Please contact us as soon as your pet is diagnosed so we can help you with strategies to minimize stress, pain, and discomfort and improve quality of life. We don’t want HANK (Hurting And Nobody Knows)!
- Palliative and Hospice Care for Dogs and Cats: Families enrolled in Heal’s Hospice and Palliative service start with a 2-3 hour in-home or in-clinic consultation. You will meet with Dr. Turner to discuss your goals and beliefs, and create a care plan for your companion to keep them mobilie, comfortable, eating, and free from side effects. Comfort care kits are dispensed. Text and email support is always available. Our Hospice and Palliative Care families may feel overwhelmed at first, but they end up confident and empowered caretakers and decision-makers.
- Quality of Life Assessment: One-hour In home assessment and discussion to answer your questions and help you feel confident about end of life care and decisions for your pet.
- Home Euthanasia: Spend as much time as needed before, during, and after your pet’s passing. Dr. Turner will answer any questions and honor any wishes so your goodbye and final moments are exactly how you want them to be. Private cremation services are provided for families that would like ashes returned in an engraved urn, and a ceramic paw print is included.
- Please contact us for more information. Click here for pet loss support & resources.
Canine Physical Rehabilitation
Dr. Turner is certified in Canine Rehabilitation (CCRT) and combines acupuncture with rehabilitation in most patients. Rehabilitation modalities help pets gain stability, strength, and manage pain. Heal is the only vet clinic in the area with a state-of-the art AquaPaws underwater treadmill. Underwater treadmill therapy has helped many dogs recover from injury and paralysis. Senior dogs improve strength and have less pain and stiffness from arthritis after exercising in water.
- Underwater Treadmill now available at Heal! We have Tahoe’s only underwater treadmill! Read more about the underwater treadmill here.
- Therapeutic Exercise: Therapeutic exercises improves strength, flexibility, balance, and coordination and slows progression of disease. Our goal is to improve mobility and quality of life.
- Electro-stimulation: decreases pain and inflammation by providing a low level electrical current which disrupts the normal pain perception pathways.
- Pulsed Magnetic Electric Field (PEMF): speeds healing by improving blood flow to injured areas, reduces inflammation and provide pain relief. PEMF therapy can be delivered via mats, jackets and even portable loops and is a highly effective, non-invasive, non-pharmaceutical option for pain management.
- Laser Therapy: Laser therapy is the use of light energy to stimulate tissue repair and provide pain management. Laser therapy may alleviate muscle and joint discomfort, relieve symptoms of arthritis, relax muscle spasms and increase blood flow to an area, helping injuries to heal.
- Manual Therapy: Manual therapy includes a variety of techniques, including passive range of motion, stretching, and joint mobilization. Manual therapies can be of great benefit to joints, allowing for greater movement and can also provide significant pain relief.
Well-pet and Preventive Care
We love puppies and want to help your new friend get the best start in life!
Your pet is healthy or you just got a new puppy? Let’s keep him that way! In conjunction with routine veterinary care, integrative medicine offers powerful tools to keep animals healthy and intercept problems early.
- Good nutrition from the start — avoid problems later in life
- Antibody titer testing tells us that puppies responded to vaccination and are protected, and whether older pets need booster vaccines or not
- Individualized vaccine protocols
- Behavior advice and resources
- Targeted supplements for effective preventive care
- Exercise therapy to prevent orthopedic disease and injury
- Dr. Turner recommends Pet Insurance for all puppies! Check out this comprehensive summary of benefits which compares the plans!
What does your pet love to do?
We’ll keep your pets doing what they love!
Chronic Arthritis and ACL tearHuey Louis is a happy guy despite chronic arthritis in his back and multiple joints. He visits us for acupuncture, rehab, laser, and massage therapy to help his aches and pains. He loves the PEMF bed he uses for at-home therapy between visits. He takes herbal medicine and eats a nutritious and balanced homemade diet full of fresh foods and vegetables. Huey is doing great despite his arthritis. He has a great attitude and he loves to visit Heal.
Recovery from paralysisJingo was a miracle dog who recovered from paralysis in 2014 and continues to thrive today. He was sent home from UC Davis after they decided he was not a candidate for surgery. Still unable to walk, his prognosis for recovery was guarded. He started having acupuncture treatments and after just a few sessions, he started walking again. Jingo continues to visit for acupuncture, massage, and exercise therapy sessions to help maintain his strength and mobility.
End of Life CareBunny started coming to see us after conventional medicine failed to provide her with improvement in her mobility. Her Mom was concerned her decline might mean the end was near. When she started coming to Heal, she could only take a few steps before collapsing on to her head or falling over because of hind end weakness. But after several patient weeks of acupuncture, food therapy, and herbal medicine, she was running again. Bunny lived another happy and mobile two years with an amazing quality of life before she faced some other serious medical issues. We miss her sweet little pug face and challenging wiggly acupuncture sessions.